1991 Volkswagen Jetta Cooling system problem

RDENGIL
  • 1991 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
Changed the heater core this week after it let go, after installing the new one, I filled up the cooling system (also replaced the thermostat) and drove the car, the temperature rose to normal operating and then the coolant started to back out through the expansion tank. This happened several times and then the engine went high temp. I changed the thermostat again and suspected maybe no water was getting in the engine. Took the top hose and filled the radiator reinstalled, same result water boiled out of the expansion tank, what other possibilities are there? Bad water pump? Radiator? Help. Thanks dennis
Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 AT 8:30 PM

DR LOOT
The easiest way to check the water pump is removed a cap from expansion tankwhile the car is running, you will notice the small holes circulating water into the expansion tank, if the water is not circulating when it is cold you have a bad water. I'm hoping when the heater core was leaking that you did not overheat because that could also be a problem.
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 5:37 PM