1991 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA ALTERNATOR D+ TERMINAL?

• jtacken
  • 1991 Volkswagen Jetta

1991 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 78,000 miles

I recently repalced my water pump. While removing the alternator I disconnected the lead to the D+ terminal. The retaining nut was rusted and whole terminal rotated a few times before I realized what was happening. I stipped the lead wire and attached a new lead and reconnected everything following the water pump replacement. Now I am having a charging issue which I think is related to the D+ terminal. I know if the D+ terminal is disconnected my alternator won't charge the battery. So what I would like to know is how does the internal end of the D+ terminal make its contact inside the alternator? Is it wired internally or does it screw into the alternator housing until it butts up against a plate for the internal electrical connection? If it's wired I probably broke the connection but if it contacts a plate I think tightening up the D+ terminal should fix the problem? I'd like to avoid buying a new or rebuilt alternator as my was fine before I removed it to replace the water pump.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 12:54 PM

• jtacken

By the way. It's a Bosch alternator

Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 12:58 PM