2002 Volkswagen Beetle Won't Start Fuel pump

QUATORIA23
  • 2002 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE

2002 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 88000 miles

2.0L GLS New Beetle won't start. Cranks just fine, but won't catch. Spark is fine, no codes, check engine speed sensor and read 960 ohms (in spec according to Chiltons.) Fuel pump is gettign +12VDC at harness when cranking, but can't hear pump run, and no fuel is delivered to fuel rail (disconnected supply line from regulator to verify.) Pulled fuel pump/sender assembly from tank and check all wiring in the assembly; continuity is good. Pump itself reads ~1.0 ohm, and when hooked up to a battery, runs vigorously and moves water well. Only strange thing is that whenit runs, the little +-shaped hole next to the negative connection tab(right side of included picture) spurts fluid along with the discharge. Is this an acceptable condition? Do I need to replace the pump, or just put it back together and hope it works? Should i flush the pump with gasoline before putting it back in the system?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/524960_photo_1.jpg

Friday, May 7th, 2010 AT 3:27 AM

RACEFAN966

I would say replace it at this point it is out. The only way to know if it is truely bad it do a fuel pressure test with everything put back together. So it is your call but I would replace it.

Saturday, May 8th, 2010 AT 9:23 AM