VIOLENT SHAKING AND OCCASIONAL STALLS OUT

2002 Ford Explorer

ddevinney1

August, 13, 2013 AT 7:08 AM

This doesn't happen all the time but it occurs more and more often. After driving for more than 20 min, when stopped, the vehicle shakes violently. The RPM needle bounces when in idle between 800 and 2000. I try to put the vehicle in park and neutral and it makes it worse. Sometimes the vehicle stalls out with me staying in the Drive gear. Lately my vehicle has a hard time shifting when going 65 + mph. It seems as if it constantly shifts between 4th and 5th gear and jerks the car around. These may be two different problems I just want to fill you in. Also, after the car shakes for a while a burning smell comes from the engine. I always pull over and make sure I am not on fire. I can't tell if it is oil or coolant or transmission fluid.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

hmac300

August, 13, 2013 AT 12:36 PM

Its probably oil leaking to the exaust manifolf for the smell. Scan for codes and check fuel pressure first for other problem.