1995 Vauxhall Astra Won't start

WASTED
  • 1995 VAUXHALL ASTRA
I have noticed a power loss over the last couple of weeks and last week it's started accelerating unevenly.

It's got 120k on the clock so I was thinking it might be the petrol filter. As it wasn't making that satisfying bass noise like it did after I removed the baffles from the airbox I changed the air filter first. That gave me back my lost power but I stilll had the uneven acceleration so I changed the petrol filter. I took it for a 60 mile rag and the uneven acceleration was still there but not as bad as it was. I figured it's an old car maybe it's just old and went to sleep.

Next day it won't start. It fired as normal but then died. It was coughing like it was out of petrol and trying to start on fumes but it wouldn't turn over. I checked the fuel filter was still attached but that was fine and re-seated the spark plug leads (Plugs are a few months old) and this time it fired but I had to rev to keep it going after a few seconds I let it return to idle and it sat there quite happily for 10 minutes.

I went to work and it started fine in the evening but this morning it has done the exact same thing.

Someone at work said it smelled like it was running rich but I couldn't smell anything.

Edit: It won't start at all now.

Any ideas?

Any advice and help would be appreciated.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 12:55 PM

WASTED
It was a loose fuel pump fuse :)
Tuesday, August 4th, 2009 AT 6:18 AM