Van shuts off intermittently

IVANJONN
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
Hello, I have the sport model.

Recently I have been having an odd intermittent problem, where the van would shut off at random, usually at a stop. Sometimes while driving the van shuts off as well, but only for about a half a second as it gives a quick shudder and the engine light comes on as if it has turned off, but turns back off as the van remains on. At random points, if the key is in the "on" position but the engine is not on for a long period of time, the van will only crank but will not start. This would be solved by unplugging the camshaft position sensor and plugging it back in. I have already replaced this part a few weeks ago, but I am unsure if it is maybe a faulty sensor causing an intermittent problem, or if it might be bad wiring or even a different sensor. How should I go about this problem next?

Thank you so much!
Monday, April 24th, 2017 AT 10:58 AM

Try cleaning the throttle plate on both sides and iac hole with choke cleaner. then scan for codes see if anything gets picked up. it could be the crank sensor or connection as they can go bad as well as cam sensor. finally check fuel pressure with a gauge see if it is in spec. See link.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
Monday, April 24th, 2017 AT 12:23 PM