Turn signal issue

MICHAEL H. ASBURY
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU
  • AWD
I replaced the driver side turn signal bulb on the front of the car as well as the turn signal bulb on the back of the car. My issue is that the drivers side front turn signal bulb is clicking rapidly fast an the driver side turn signal bulb in the back is not flashing at all and they are both new bulbs. So I know it is not a bad bulb. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Sunday, April 23rd, 2017 AT 9:49 PM

STEVE W.
Most likely issue would be the circuit plate that the bulbs plug into. Either the contact(s) for the bulb have failed or the circuit inside that connects the lamp to the connector pin has failed. Then there is the actual connector that hooks the plate to the wiring in the car.

test the harness connector first. If it tests okay just replace the socket plate itself.

Get a simple test light.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Unplug the harness connector. If you look at the connector there will be a black wire which is ground and a light blue with black stripe wire which is your turn signal. There will also be a brown wire which is the marker light. Take the test light and connect it to a good ground. Now turn on the headlights and touch the contact for the brown wire. The light should light up if you have a good ground. Now turn on the turn signal and touch the contact for the light blue with black wire. It should flash the light. If it does replace the circuit board assembly.

If it does not then you need to test that wire where it connects to the fuse panel at the right end of the dash. It may have broken in between. But I will bet it is the plate.
Monday, April 24th, 2017 AT 1:17 AM