Truck will not start

SWINESTOPPER
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
All dash lights will not come on. I was told I had a security alarm problem and reset the truck by leaving the key turned over for fifteen minutes and it turned on no problem, but it does not want to turn on anymore. I was told it was because I do not have the original key, but not totally sure. The lights do not work now and the fuel pump is not kicking on. Does anyone know what is going on? Will an aftermarket alarm system work with a factory key? It does this once or twice a year and I normally would just leave it sit, but I am stumped now. Someone help.
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 9:41 PM

KEN
Hey SWINESTOPPER,

It sounds like you have a battery or battery cable problem, here is a guide that will help you test the battery. Aslo move the cable around with the key on see if you can hear any electrical changes.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Please let us know what happens so it will help others

Best, Ken
Friday, January 27th, 2017 AT 1:16 AM
BEANTOWN4552
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Truck will not turn over, tried new battery, same thing
Friday, January 27th, 2017 AT 1:17 AM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
Someone with electrical knowledge is going to have to follow a wiring diagram and test the rest of the circuit.
Just to add, The purple wire at the starter solenoid, should be be hot with the key in the crank position. Is it? Any testing, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. If the wire isn't hot, check circuits at the starter relay in the underhood fuse box. There are applicable fuses, check the fuse/s. Some of the national brand autostores will test the starter for you, if you take it off and take it to them. Let us know.
LISADOMINGUEZ
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
We burned something up in our truck when we used a generator to try and jump it. Smoke come up through the dash and now it will crank but not turn over? What could it be?
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

I fear that you have suffered a major electrical loom failure, smote from under the dash or from the vents would be the plastic insulation on the wires melting and burning. There is a very good chance the some of these wires have fused togeather and some of your electrical systems are now inoperable. You are very luck that you did not burn the car out. You will have to access the loom under the dash to inspect for damage you will need the assistance of an auto electrican to help with these repairs.

JOEPD
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1999 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

i put anew pcm in and ran for one day after learning the system. I am not coming up with no dtc for the engine
PEAR69
How did you test for no injector pulse? Do you have 12 volts at the injectors with the key turned on (in the run position)? Every injector has a pink wire on it - this should have 12 volts with the key on.
CONWAYMUSE
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1999 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 174000 miles

why wont my truck crank? It turns over and only the battery light will come on. -Thank you
Does it crank over or it cranks over and refuses to start?
CONWAYMUSE
Yes, it cranks but refuses to start.
Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors-
RONKELLY1
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1999 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

My truck only occassionally starts, but turns over with no problem. The battery and alternator checked out fine. The truck starts with no problem at all when I jump it from another vehicle. Could it be im getting a voltage leak from the starter and need to replace it?
Make sure the ground wire from the battery is properly attached to the engine block. Make sure it is tight, clean and in good condition.
KARATTOP
If it turns over, you are getting juice to the starter. You should check for spark to the plugs, fuel to the carb or injectors, and distributor to be sure the spark happens when it is supposed to. It can easily be an electronic problem - if your different sensors and computers aren't communicating the right info, the mechanical things can occur properly but the truck still not start. You can get many of the sensors checked by a parts place or a dealership.

Tell more about the conditions when it does or does not start.

Related Engine Not Starting Content