Truck will not stay running

CHAS662
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • RWD
C-1500 after engine warms up starts to run rough and shuts off at low rpm. Get code 54 and have tried all the easy possible fixes.
Saturday, May 6th, 2017 AT 7:46 PM

See picture. Fuel pump circuit check the fusible link in picture at battery should be twelve volts both sides. Then check ground for pump may be corroded. Should be 9-11 PSI. Also, check gasket at base of TBI they like to blow out use choke cleaner to check. Can be a bad relay, oil pressure switch low oil pressure etc.
+1
Sunday, May 7th, 2017 AT 8:24 AM
CHAS662
Thanks for the reply.
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 1:54 PM
CHAS662
Sorry didn't back to sooner. This started out with me changing map, plugs and wires, dis cap, rotary button. Sense then I have changed egr, fpr and fuse, oil pressure sending unit, iac, tps. At that point it stopped firing so I changed coil pack and still no fire. I don't have a meter and get confused when I try to read one so I'm out of luck there. As you can tell at I only qualify as a shade tree. I do appreciate the help and still at a stand still.
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 6:32 AM
You'll have to check resistance of pickup coil 400-1000 ohm and take ignition module in dist to auto parts they can check it
+1
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 6:56 AM
CHAS662
Put on a new ignition module. Thanks again for the help. It starts now but it runs rough and sometimes back fires. Test drive and it run so bad it would hardly go. I get code 22 for the tps but I had put a new one on already. I just took it off and used the old round bushing and put new one on. Did I need to do something else?
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 6:22 AM
Did you check vacuum hoses for soft and broken/cracked and for a blown gasket under tbi unit like I said in first reply
+1
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 6:32 AM
CHAS662
I do not find any bad vacuum hoses or leeks gasket seems to be ok also.
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 7:21 AM
Check your firing order you may have things mixed up there.
+1
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 12:09 PM
CHAS662
With your help and expert advice we have old truck going down the road smooth. Makes me fell good. Thank You very much. Hope my small donation helps.
Thursday, May 11th, 2017 AT 10:36 AM
KEN
Thanks for the donation! It helps to keep the site going!

Cheers! Ken
+1
Saturday, May 13th, 2017 AT 5:34 PM
GODMADECHEVYS
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I recently replaced my driver door on my truck and the next day it tried to shut off twice. Then it shut off and then it was hard to start and then it did it again. Then it would not start and my blinkers will not work. The door I put on was from a 1996 Suburban.
Wednesday, February 27th, 2019 AT 12:45 PM (Merged)
Make sure the battery has a full charge and connections all good. If it cranks good but will not start, have a helper crank it while you check for spark at the spark plugs. If spark everywhere, use a gauge and check proper fuel pressure. Also, check fuel injector pulse. Fuel--air--spark--compression, the proper amounts at the proper time and it should start and run.
I do not know what testing you have done?
There is a repair guides link at the top of page, a lot of information.
GODMADECHEVYS
Most off fuses wasn't working after testing and found short in ignition switch
Good job. Glad you got it going your way.
JLONGBO2
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My truck starts, runs, and then dies. You let it sit then it will repeat the problem.
Next time it dies out-do below immediately and tell me what's missing

Get a starting fluid or ether and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
-1
JAMESBROWN
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Truck dies at idle when a/c is on
The computer might not be getting the input signal to raise the idle when the compressor engages thru the IACV-could be an idle up solenoid problem or the curb idle speed is too low. Try raising it and see what happens.
DSPLACE2007
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hi, my 1994 chevy 2500 v8 K vin 5.7 liter stalls at cold idle and while driving, but esp when I first crank it up cold. I had this prob a couple wks back and it sent code 35 IAC valve. With throttle body exposed the TB makes loud hissing sound, as if vacuum leak or starved of fuel. Then when this sound goes away, the vehicle runs. I can run up to whatever speed, say 60 mph last night down highway and boom, vehicle dies. Started back up and got it home. This morning, same hissing and stall over and over, then ran fine, then stalled. Not sure IAC valve could cause this vehicle to stall like this at idle or driving at higher rpm. Hope that is what it is though. I disconnected fuel line and tested fuel flow and filter, and it seems that fuel flow is vast. Could it be a fuel pressure regulator, or intermittent fuel pump issue? I tested map sensor, and ignit module and they test fine. Spark or fuel, I don't know, or even a sensor? The hissing at TB is what puzzles me though. When it runs fine, hissing gone, then comes back and boom, vehicle stalls out. Could it be relay? I cannot find a fuel pump relay on this at all. I am just wondering why it sent code 35 IAC valve though. Could that cause vehicle to die at all speeds and idle? Maybe it is a weeks fuel pump. Prior to this problem, a day or two before, I ran out of fuel due to fuel gauge being inoperative. Please help as I would like to be able to see my little boy and girl. Thanks.
Wednesday, February 27th, 2019 AT 12:46 PM (Merged)
Open up the IACV and clean it out

Here's how to clean the IAC valve:

Disconnect the air intake ductwork from the throttle body.

Start the engine, then increase and hold the idle speed to 1,000 to 1,500 rpm.

Spray the throttle cleaner or engine cleaner into the throat of the throttle body, aiming for the idle air bypass port (usually located on the side or top of the throttle body opening). Give this area a good dose of cleaner (about 10 second's worth).

Turn the engine off to allow the cleaner to soak into the IAC passageway.

Wait about three minutes.

Restart the engine, rev and hold at 1,000 to 1,500 rpm, and repeat the cleaning process again.

Turn the engine off again, and reattach the air intake ductwork to the throttle body.

Start the engine and rev and hold to 1,500 to 2,000 rpm until no white smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe.

If this fails to make any difference, you can remove the IAC valve from the throttle body and spray cleaner directly on the tip of the valve and/or into the ports in the throttle body. Let the cleaner soak awhile, repeat as needed, then reinstall the IAC valve, start the engine and run it at 1,500 to 2,000 rpm as before until no white smoke is seen in the exahust.

If the idle speed still surges after this, the IAC valve is defective and needs to be replaced.