Trouble removing thermostat extension tube (with video for reference)

WI1SHIRE
  • 2001 SATURN L300
Hi everybody,

I've got a 2001 Saturn L300 V6. My oil cooler leaked oil into my cooling system, so I set about to replace it and redo all the seals. While I'm at that, I figured I would change out my t-stat since I'm in the area and I think mine is still the original. My oil cooler job went OK, but this T-stat replacement is killing me. I'll explain the situation in text here but I also shot a video of my engine so you can see for yourself. The link is below.

The upper radiator hose is stuck onto the t-stat extension tube, and the only way I can remove it is to cut it off, which I have not done yet. In the mean time I took out the bolt holding the extension tube's mounting tab. This bolt is the one that also holds one side of the front engine mount and another tab supporting the dipstick assembly. I also removed a nut holding a steel pipe and tube from the very front of the engine.

Even with the radiator hose stuck on there, I should be able to free the extension from the t-stat, but no luck. The dipstick is in my way and I can't move anything. I've tried twisting the dipstick stem, but it barely budges.

I heard that there might be another bolt in this area that will let me move the dipstick more, but I can't find it for the life of me. I've also taken the thermostat bolts out and wiggled it around to loosen the extension with no luck. That means I can't give up and put it back together since I busted the seals.

Please help!
-Matt

Reference Video I shot
www. Youtube. Com/watch?V=efFWOHYQi2U
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 5:07 PM

CADIEMAN
MATT YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE THE THERMOSTAT UNTIL IT FAILS. PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND DON'T OPEN A CAN OF WORMS OR PROBLEMS. JUST BUY A NEW SEAL AND RE-INSTALL EVERYTHING. YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE THE HOSES ANYWAY BECAUSE THE OIL CAUSES HOSE FAILURE IF IT WAS DRIVEN FOR A LONG TIME WITH OIL IN THE RADIATOR. YOU SHOULD REPLACE ALL THE HOSES! BECAUSE THE OIL CAUSES INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL HOSES SWELLING. SO THE HOSES ARE MORE OF A PROBLEM THAN THE STAT. IF THEY SHOW SIGNS OF SWELLING. IF THEY HAVE OVER 25K MILES ON THEM YOU NEED TO REPLACE THEM ANY WAY.I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS HAPPENED

CRAIG AKA CADIEMAN ALWAYS KEEP GOD CLOSE TO YOUR HEART.( YOU'LL NEED TO RETURN THE STATE AND YOU CAN JUST BUY THE SEAL) THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU WILL GET.
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 6:48 PM
CADIEMAN
GET BACK WITH ME IF YOU CAN'T DO THIS. BUT IT'S PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD TO FIX IT RIGHT.
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 6:57 PM
WI1SHIRE
Thanks for your response, but I am going to replace the thermostat and need help getting that done. Your advice about the hoses is good, and I will look into how to replace them all.

Can you or someone else please let me know how to finish the thermostat job from where I am at now. I see no way that there is room for the extension tube to be able to move enough to detach from the T-stat.

-Matt
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 8:04 PM
WI1SHIRE
Www. Youtube. Com/watch?V=efFWOHYQi2U

Let me know if you need more details from me.

Thanks,
-Matt
Thursday, May 1st, 2014 AT 2:01 PM
SATURNTECH9
Yeah if oil got in the cooling system you need to change all the hoses and I would also replace the coolant bottle after your done flushing the system. As far as the thermostat goes is your thermostat housing have ribs where the bolts go?If not replace the the housing with the updated one that has the ribs. The smooth ones leak I have seen a lot of them leak that's why they updated them. As far as separating the tube from the housing you don't have to completely remove the tube from the car it only has to be pulled back a short distance. Bolt the housing back down. Then remove the hold down nut for the power steering hose that runs across that tube area. Then fold the hose up and out of the way. Then you just remove that tube hold down bolt then you have to rock the tube they can be really tight. You can try prying by the tubes hold down tab but be careful those tabs do break off. You only have to slightly pull the tube out of the thermostat housing. Then you can twist the thermostat housing out.
Friday, May 2nd, 2014 AT 6:57 PM