Transmission, will not shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, AOD automatic

HFLYBY
  • 1988 FORD F-250
My transmission will not shift from second gear to third gear. It goes beautifully from first to second and then it just stays in second.
If I drive long enough, about 15 minutes, the vehicle, still in second gear, will begin not to catch, then not catch at all. Step on the gas and you get nothing, but the engine is revving up while the transmission slips completely, while still in second gear. If I roll to a stop stopping the vehicle, then step on the gas, the transmission will then catch again immediately. I can go through first, then second and will not shift any further, and soon it will again disengage.
The cycle will repeat itself, with the engine eventually begins to overheat.
The catalytic converter was installed where it actually touches the side of the transmission valve body area. Could that cause the transmission to overheat? Also there were a lot of metal shavings in the pan when I removed it. I did change the fluid and added a lubricant, it did not work.
i have the valve body off and I am preparing to take off the plate to clean it and check the valves.

If the catalytic converter is touching the transmission and it heats the fluid, that is a possible explanation of why, as I drive, the fluid heats up to where it is causing total slippage?

But, if I stop for a second and then take off again, first and second work fine, but it still will not shift to third, and the time between stops becomes shorter, the engine gets hotter, until I am revving the engine with minimal result and third still will not commit. I do not push it any further.

How serious is the cat touching the transmission scenario? I assume I should fix that.

I was told the metal shavings could be the cause of the valve sticking?

I have the valve body out and was going to remove, clean and replace?
Saturday, August 24th, 2013 AT 3:54 PM

SATURNTECH9
The catalytic converter touching the transmission is pretty serous I would not want that on my transmission. What I would worry about is were is the shavings coming from? Also you say it stops moving in second gear, that also sounds like a major problem. I would do a pressure test, but the transmission has to be together. The shavings in the valve body is the least of your trouble because you will never get all the shavings out of the torque converter. You can see if the shavings are in the valve body they could really be anywhere depends where they ended up at, but it sounds like the transmission is having a internal failure.

Here is a link to an article from this site that will show you how to run further diagnostic test on your transmission.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/automatic-transmission-problems

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers
Saturday, August 24th, 2013 AT 6:17 PM
EUGENEDEAN
My Ford-F250 had this same problem. I would get the catalytic converter fixed right away. That ended up being the source of my issues. As soon as I got it moved and changed some sensors, it shifted beautifully. I hope your solution is as simple.
+7
Monday, March 23rd, 2015 AT 8:03 AM
KEN
Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help people.

Best, Ken
+2
Friday, February 24th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
FORDTRANSISSUE
  • 2001 FORD F-250
2001 f-250 super duty 5.4 aluminum headsgas auto with overdrive

my f 250 will not shift out of second gear, when going down hill truck speeds up from 2nd gear and engin does not have restriction from trany. As truck costs I try to excelerate and the tack just reves up. Pulled over to cycle gears and the truck will not go into reverse. Extremley cold. New fluid installed but not filter truck drove well last 2 days but acting up today. Any thoughts. Fluid is above fill mark but not fomy/
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 8:37 PM (Merged)
The truck is in limp mode on transmission take it to a trans shop probably needs a rebuild
ANNETTEDODSON
  • 1999 FORD F-250
We just replaced the transmission with brand new one
The gears will not change from drive and will when you put it into 2nd. It also idles high
+1
Make sure all your electrical connections are good, check fluid to be full then scan for codes. For high idle clean throttle plate on both sides and iac hole with choke cleaner then check for vacuum leak.
KELLIE FEARN
My 98 Chevy Tahoe is doing exact same thing. I had the transmission rebuilt it worked fine for a yr and now it's acting up again. It will shift up to 2nd and that's it.
Did you get it fixed?
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017 AT 5:47 PM
KEN
This could be a new problem can you please post your question here

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/new

Cheers, Ken
-1
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017 AT 7:44 PM