Transmission problems

REDBONE
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
When I put the lever to reverse it wont engage, so I will put in drive then back to reverse and sometimes it will go into reverse. Also my speedometer is at 30mph when I start the van, once I can get the van to move in either reverse or drive the transmission works fine, shifting like normal.I replace the input and out speed sensors and stil doesn't go into gear like it suppose too. Could my neutral safety switch be bad or is something else the problem, also my backup lights are on as soon as I start the van.
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 2:02 PM

Sounds like the shifter cable is loose, stretched, or misadjusted. I'd start by watching the lever on the transmission to see if it clicks solidly into each position while a helper works the shift lever inside.

You can also use a Chrysler DRB3 scanner to view the gear selected and see if that agrees with the shift lever's position. A lot of independent repair shops bought DRB3s, so you might ask around at some local shops to see if you can find one. You'll find them at any Chrysler dealership too.
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 2:59 PM
REDBONE
Shifter linkage is moving ok, but now my speedometer doesn't work and it wont go out of low gear.
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 5:51 PM
Staying in second gear is "limp mode" to allow you to drive slowly to a repair shop without needing a tow truck. The diagnostic fault codes need to be read and recorded to know where to start the diagnosis.
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 6:23 PM
REDBONE
My codes are po700 po715 po720 p1899.I have put in new input speed and output speed sensors.I was told it was my neutral safety switch, but my van doesn't start in any other gear except park and neutral could the transmission control solenoid be what is causing all my problems
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 8:16 PM
P0715 - Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0720 - Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1899 - Park/Neutral Position Switch Stuck In Park or In Gear

You have fault codes directing you to the circuits that need to be diagnosed. Don't go looking for other unrelated stuff. The first concern is it is very unlikely you have three sensors that failed at the same time. Instead, look for what they have in common. In this case that is the wiring harness. The second thing to be aware of is the neutral safety switch is no longer the inexpensive, reliable switch that worked fine for many decades. It is a "range sensor". This one has five separate switches in it that turn on and off at different times. Those must agree with the short list of acceptable combinations. When any one of them does not go to the correct state, code P1899 will set.

Any one of these three codes will send the system into limp mode. Inspect the wiring harnesses first for signs of wires rubbed through, then for corrosion on connector terminals. The next step would be to use a scanner to view live data and see if either speed sensor is generating a signal. Also look at the Transmission Range Sensor to see how it is listed. I have a Chrysler DRB3 scanner for all of my vehicles. That shows the gear that is selected as interpreted by the Transmission Computer. You may be able to get an idea as to the cause of the problem by watching how it acts while moving the shift lever. If an incorrect gear reading only occurs when shifting between forward and reverse, with the engine running, for example, a good suspect is something related to a wiring harness that is flexing when the engine rocks. If the problem shows up when the engine is not running, an intermittent contact inside the range sensor becomes a better suspect. A problem in the range sensor could act up every time you shift to a certain gear, but it is usually the only suspect when the incorrect readings show up intermittently as you shift back and forth.
+1
Wednesday, April 5th, 2017 AT 2:59 PM
REDBONE
Thank you for the advice.I will check all connection and will let you know if my problem is fixed
Wednesday, April 5th, 2017 AT 5:15 PM
REDBONE
I checked all the connections and found a connection was corroded and replaced it.I also have po700 po715 po720 codes, I replaced the input and output sensors. My speedometer doesn't work, but the other gauges are working. The transmission is still not shifting it is still stuck in one gear and when I put it in drive and back to park my indicator still shows its in drive until I move to drive then back to park.
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 5:21 PM
The next step is to use a scanner to see what the Transmission Computer is seeing. If the range sensor is not reporting the correct gear you have selected, that sensor becomes suspect. Most scanners will also let you test the individual switches in that sensor.
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 8:33 PM