TRANSMISSION

2002 Ford Taurus

dirtball1983

May, 10, 2013 AT 3:59 PM

The transmission rattles in first gear it goes away if I put it in neutral and after it shift out of first gear the rattle goes away. It is not the exhaust also has intermittent codes of PO 741 PO 743 and PO 746codes usually only come on above 55 miles an hour and more than 10 minutes and usually going up a hill in overdrive I can turn the ignition off and then on quickly so the motor comes back on and the code is gonenand on long trips the tachometer will drop to 0 and the battery light will come on when I put it in neutral the battery light goes off and the tachometer has a proper reading the engine was changed before I bought the car and the key was never programed to the motor this may be the cause but I'm not sure any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated

May, 10, 2013 AT 5:43 PM

Something in the trans is coming apart. The low sprag may be the noise. You need a shop to confirm it along with the general trans failure codes you have

dirtball1983

May, 11, 2013 AT 8:56 AM

What is the low sprag? And can the codes along with the noise and sypto, s tell you whats coming apart? Thanks again for the help!

May, 11, 2013 AT 9:11 AM

It is a pice that locks the shaft I the trans in first gear. Thats where I think the noise you described is coming from

Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions