Transmission

TABBY MILLER
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
Truck has had no transmission issues before today. Today the transmission did fine until time to come home from work. Truck shook, then acted as though it were in “neutral” and wouldn’t budge an inch. Shut off the engine, waited a few minutes, started it back up, truck could move, but wouldn’t go far. There’s fluid all over but it’s normal color. The dip stick says there’s fluid still in the transmission, no sign of leak from there, but there’s definitely transmission fluid under the truck. I’m running out of ideas as to what it could be, and I don’t feel like taking it to a shop as I’m in Alaska, and these mechanics can sometimes charge outrageous prices for the simplest of things for no reason. Please help!
Monday, November 4th, 2019 AT 7:45 PM

STEVE W.
Transmission fluid underneath is not good, It could be from many places, a bad transmission cooler line that rusted off or a bad torque converter seal being common. I would try to clean off as much as you can, then add some transmission fluid up to the lower area of the safe spot. Then dust the outside of the transmission with baby powder os similar. Start the truck, shift it through the gears once, then go underneath and look for the area where the powder is wet. You can also take a few pictures and post them here so we can see where the leak is, that would make thing easier.
Tuesday, November 5th, 2019 AT 3:41 AM