Transmission will not shift problem

O8PANTHER
  • 2008 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
  • RWD
I have a P71 police interceptor with 3.27 gears w/trac lock a 4.6 flex fuel engine, and the 4r75e transmission with external cooler. Car has 126,000 miles and 3900 engine idle hours. I have all of the maintenance records from the PD and the car was serviced every 2,000 with a transmission. Rebuild at 56,000 and retired to the motorpool. The owner who bought it from the mtpl at 76,000 had regular maintenance recorded in manual so the car was well maintained as far as service went and was used as a vehicle speed trap "ghost car" and drove like new when I bought it a month ago. There is its history now for my problem. The car makes a 1-2 whine or whir that increases in pitch with rpm and from what I hear stop once in second. It did this since I bought it and I was convinced it was the normal CVPI drive-train noise since the vehicle shifted fine with no problems. It still shifts fine in all gears when driving normal and even at 3/4 throttle. It does however like to hunt for in and out overdrive with overdrive on which I heard is normal for these trans. The problem that got me worried is that second tothird up-shift (WOT only) feels and sounds like it does not want to shift into third just revs higher until I get scared of blowing engine and let off the gas a bit then it shifts to third. Fluid it bright red and exactly at the max fluid level line when at op. Temp. No codes stored, pending or anything but I do not have an ABS reader and I did have a ABS light pop on once after I was working on car and bumped the ABS wheel speed sensor wire clip and must of ripped the wires out of the clip but was able to put them right back in and light went off but maybe there is a pending code that I cannot check with my scanner. I read on this site a ABS sensor can mess with transmission shifting. It is not a slip it feels like it never even tries and just revs up almost red-lines or maybe it tries to shift but its so weak I cannot feel it. I am going to drop the transmission pan and check the filter ASAP in case the filter/screen is clogged. I am hoping all that I needed is a new filter that could cause low pressure/fluid which could cause the whir/whine, and the wot second to third no shift. Right or am I dreaming? I am on a low budget and cant afford costly repairs that do not need repairing but I really cant afford a drive-train failure. I am very mechanically inclined and enjoy learning about and doing repairs myself instead of paying someone who may half a** a repair I paid good money for. I do all my repairs myself unless I need a lift or specialty equipment so I would really appreciate a detailed response to what you guys think it is and would bet your money on. The previous owner does have a record of changing transmission fluid, filyer, wire harness@101,000 miles. I am not sure if the popular j-mod I keep reading about in forums was ever performed by the previous owner or PD, but that should help transmission shifts not hurt them. By the way I have been reading the repair information and diagnostic help this sites experts give almost all day today and I am very impressed with the level of knowledge, intelligence, and detail they have to offer. It is unreal! I am so happy I found this site I called my brother and told him about it, haha. You guys are very informative and sound like you actually care about the people asking questions and go above and beyond with detail and information regarding their specific and general repairs questions. Thank you completely and sincerely in advance for any help given. You guys rock!
Thursday, April 13th, 2017 AT 11:05 PM

Have a trans guy scan for codes but it sounds like fluid going past seals at high pressure may be on it's way out or rebuild time.
+1
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 7:42 AM
O8PANTHER
Do you mind me asking the reasoning behind your educated conclusion or could any information from me help refine your diagnosis? I would gladly give any more detail if it might help. Even if it is getting under there and taking things apart. Do you recommend a TCM/, A/T transmission scanner or a tuner that would allow me to get the information or make adjustments that could help. I have wanted a diag/tuner anyways so if the transmission is toast it will not be for nothing. Since it has been rebuilt once and the engine mileage is too high to justify a transmission replacement unless a engine came with it. I would just drive until it dies and part it out. Thanks for the speedy response. Oh, one more thing, do you or anyone know how much a shop would charge for just a transmission diag scan?
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 12:12 PM
KEN

It does sounds like the transmission filter is plugged which is not good becasue it means the transmission is coming apart which can happen even if the fluid is red. Next do a regular code scan on the car any transmission codes will show up there. Change the filter and it should buy you some time though.

Get back to us with any codes, we will be glad to walk you through it.

I am glad you like the site, we like it too :)

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken
+1
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 12:27 PM
O8PANTHER
I did a generic scan and no codes were saved pending nothing.
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 12:48 PM
What happens when a trans gets older and this thing is an ex police car so it was NOT driven gently even after a rebuild. Besides you don't know what they did to rebuild it, a complete seal replacement or just what was needed. When a trans get aged, the seals get hard and when you are at full throttle the fluid pressure is greater to apply the clutch pak. Hard seals do not seal well so when you let off gas the pressure drops enough so clutch will apply andnot push the fluid past the seal. The whine you hear may be a bearing or gear set going out in one of the planetary gears inside the trans. Which in time may lock up or explode depending on the situation. That is why I send you to a trans guy they have a lot more experience than us mechanics cause they do it all the time. I don't think the charge will be a lot if at all.
+1
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 12:54 PM
O8PANTHER
I also read on many CVPI forums that a drivetrain noise exactly like mine makes is normal for these cars. Youtube had a video of itand its 100% the exact same noise mine is making and it makes it only in first just like mine. The manual says the vehicle has a special heavy duty drivetrain and will make a drivetrain noise and its normal pretty much. Not sure if its this sound they are talking in the manual. I can add a link ic you are not familiar with the sound I described in previous posting. The speedy responses are awesome, you guys are on top of your game 100%. Wow
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 1:03 PM
O8PANTHER
Thanks. Yeah everything you said makes perfect sense. There must be conflicting ideas to what the manual meant by alot of people. I took my chance on the cop car since it drove exellent over bumps cornering and had the ample power of healthy engine evwn after cop use. The transmission shifted firm and on time like a truck trans hd should atleast then it did even at wot. The kick is I bougjt it a month ago and havent beat on it beside a 4 or 5 wot for maybe 5-10s each and never while in OD at over 40 mph. And all the sudden bam trans is screwed and I am too. Hopefully if its what you say it is it lasts ahile before it goes out completely. And yeah if its the filter than im really screwed cause then it shavings clogging it up because fluid looks like new fluid. Which is weird now that I think about it because the po has a record and told me when I bought it that the trans fluid filter were changed at 101000m and its at 126600 now with no discoloration or burning visable at the dip stick. It should be a little dark by now. Can a aftermarket inline filter is slightly clogged/faulty but cleaning the fluid still but the pressure is low because of it. Thanks guys I will check with atrans specialist
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
O8PANTHER
It does have a black cylinder ribbed plastic filter on a hydraulic line which is either the trans. Or P.S line. I looked it up and ithas a magnet in it to catch metal and a filter for debri. Ford makes one and a aftermarket company not sure of name makes the same filter just rebranded it looks like. It was or still is a ford part but I see nothing about them being factory installed. The cop shop probably had it installed after the trans rebuild at 56,000m. Yeah 56,000 miles for a cvpi trans that maintained religiously is just insane it was obviously beat to hell at least when the it pd had it. The inline filter has a very very slight leak looks like its coming from the hose splice that being held by a adjustable hose clamp. I look under car every day and there are no fluid leaks on ground so it probably leaking while driving. Anyways I'll take it in either way to have them run the tcm codes and maybe see how much it will cost for seals if thats it. Sorry for the frantic posts that were confusing on what expert I was responding to. Thanks for the detailed responses for how you came to your diag. Via my excessive and at some points irrelevant fault descriptions. Ill post outcome tcm codes if any very soon. Thanks. You guys gave me hope that I may trust a shop again to do my my vehicle repairs after being charged for parts broken by service techs and charged for replacement and service being done by techs that know should never even touch a wrench. Faith restored by real mechanics. They are out there god bless
Friday, April 14th, 2017 AT 1:41 PM
KEN
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Best, Ken
+1
Saturday, April 15th, 2017 AT 11:43 AM