When put it in reverse engine just revs up

MNSPENCER9
  • 1997 DODGE NEON
My car is having transmission problems. When I put it in reverse it just revs up when I press the gas. All of the other gears it drives forward including neutral. I am thinking it is something to do with the shift linkage. But I do not have much experience with Dodge cars. I have had all GM before this. Any help at all would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 8:22 PM

Check for a broken or bent cable. If it shifts the lever to reverse which it sounds like then check fluid level if you can if not have a transmission professional do it as it has to be done on a hoist.
Thursday, March 16th, 2017 AT 7:12 AM
MNSPENCER9
Fluid is good. In park it moves forward. In reverse it does nothing. Drive, neutral, 1, and 2 it moves forward. Cable is good. I pulled the cable off the linkage on the tranny and moved that manually with a friend in the car to use the brake and the same things happened.
Thursday, March 16th, 2017 AT 4:34 PM
It's probably a trans that needs overhaul then if no check engine light is on then that is the problem
Thursday, March 16th, 2017 AT 4:58 PM
MNSPENCER9
I've heard a lot about a solenoid going bad. What happens exactly when those go out?
Thursday, March 16th, 2017 AT 6:51 PM
A solenoid either works or doesn't the pcm tells the tcm that it needs to shift so tcm does that to solenoid. But it will set an engine code if that happens. For reverse there is no solenoid it's a valve because reverse takes more pressure to apply a clutch than forward. Even if it says a solenoid is bad doesn't mean it actually is because if the seal or clutch is bad will not allow the solenoid to shift anyhow. With the mileage on your car have a trans guy look at it. If you don't want a rebuild you can always get a junk yard trans. However you should have it professionally checked to make sure that is the problem.
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 6:19 AM
MNSPENCER9
Thanks for the help!
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 6:38 AM