"Transmission: false fail' sign on dash

MOHAMED ABBAS
  • 2006 BMW X5
My car was working fine until the engine broke down. I replaced the engine, but now I am having problems with the transmission. The car rarely changes gears fine, but most of the time, it is stuck in fifth gear. The car moves very slowly and sluggishly. On the dashboard, there is the "transmission: false fail' sign. Now, I am trying to change the transmission oil and transmission filters. The ABS and 4*4 lights are on. There is something else, the battery positive cable is too hot. A mechanic said that the alternator is working properly, but once I turn the engine off, I can not restart the engine, as if there is some leakage in the battery.

Have you any piece of advice regarding this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Saturday, May 25th, 2019 AT 8:21 AM

Welcome to 2CarPros.

Since you just replaced the engine, are you certain no wires were pinched causing a short?

As far as the battery cable getting hot, that isn't good. What I need you to do is check for a draw on the battery when everything is off. Here is a link that explains how to check:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-dead-overnight

Also, you mentioned you can't restart the engine once you turn it off. What allows it to restart? Does it have to sit for awhile or does it need jumped?

Let me know what you find on the draw test. If there is anything other you can think of, let me know.

Saturday, May 25th, 2019 AT 7:56 PM