2005 Toyota Sienna Code P0016 after timing belt changed

MLT123
  • 2005 TOYOTA SIENNA
My Sienna is giving me the P0016 error code. It showed up the day after I had a shop replace the timing belt. I know the code probably means the shop got the cam shaft off by one tooth. My question is can I keep driving the van for a few days before I can take it back to the shop? Will it cause any damage if I drive it (burned valve, etc.)?
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 3:54 PM

SATURNTECH9
First of all thank you very much for your donation. It's cam shaft bank 1 misalignment at idle. The first thing it say's to do is make sure the cam timing is correct.I wouldn't want to be driving it around who knows how far it jumped or if it jumped because there wasn't enough tension on the belt. If there wasn't enough tension on the belt it could jump further. Your best bet would to not drive it and contact the shop as soon as you can.
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 9:28 PM
MLT123
Is it possible to tell if the cam jumped time because the belt was loose or if the shop did not get the cam timing set right when they installed the belt? I'm trying to figure out how big a fuss to make at the shop when I take the car back. It sounds like either way, the shop made a mistake - they either did not set the belt tension right or did not line the cam up right when they installed the belt.
+1
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 12:15 PM
SATURNTECH9
If the belt was loose and it jumped time it's there fault they just replaced the belt. Also if it wasn't timed in correctly when you left the shop it's there fault they just put the belt on and it was supposed to be properly timed at that time. They only way you can be sure it's out of time is to take the timing cover off and line up the timing mark's. Do you want to go thru all that hassle justt so you can go back and say you messed up?If you don't take it apart then they can't use that as a excuse for the timing being off.
-1
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 12:28 PM