2004 TOYOTA SIENNA BRAKING NOISE

• Davidbh
  • 2004 Toyota Sienna

Brakes problem
2004 Toyota Sienna 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69000 miles

The left rear brake makes a low pitch scraping noise only when braking that I hear only at low speed, and it seems to be only once per wheel revolution. The sound is harsher and louder right after a rain, then quiets down, but is still present all the time. The dealer has checked and adjusted the rear brakes at two different service appts; and an independent brake shop has checked the issue. They all say there nothing wrong and the brake pads have many miles of wear remaining. My light maintenance mechanic thinks it is a slightly warped rotor, and I shouldn't worry about it, that it is not a safety issue. However, this continuing scraping sound is very irritating. How can it be fixed?

Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 8:22 AM

• racefan966

It is the rear making the noise correct? Has the rotor been checked for warpage? If not then I would check it. Also I would check the sliders for proper lube and check that the metal backing on the pad has anti squeel compond on them. If you would I would also like you to drive it at the speed that makes the noise and then turn the wheel back and forth to shift the weight of the car a little and see if the noise changes as you turn the wheel from left to right. Let me know what you find.

Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 9:18 AM
  • Davidbh

If you would I would also like you to drive it at the speed that makes the noise and then turn the wheel back and forth to shift the weight of the car a little and see if the noise changes as you turn the wheel from left to right. Let me know what you find.

I did what was suggested above - both as mild wheel turns and more as more vigorous turns. There did not seem to be any difference in the sound I was hearing.

Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 11:16 AM
  • Davidbh

I replied to the technician's question shortly after he posted his comment on Saturday, but have not received a further comment. Do I have to "donate" for every e mail exchange?

Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 4:53 PM
  • racefan966

First sorry I do take a Sunday's off as that is my family day. With that said I would say that it may be high metalic pad noise. Have the brakes been replace before? If so how long ago.

Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 7:02 PM
  • Davidbh

Sundays off - seems fair, naturally. My apologies. I guess not seeing a comment from Saturday morning to Monday night meant that was the end of the responses. The only replacement of brakes occurred 2m or 3m miles ago on the right rear brake. It required a complete new brake assembly, because the caliper was frozen and brakes became very hot. Replaced calipers, pads, brake flush - $500 in all for just the right rear! The rubbing noise I now hear appears (as best I can tell) to be coming from the left rear brake and is equal to once each wheel revolution at very slow speed. If I brake more firmly, I do not detect the rubbing noise. I have taken the van back to the dealer who did the brake replacement two times to try to eliminate the noise. Teh first time they said a brake pad shim was loose and they repaired it. Noise didn't go away, and I returned again. This time the dealer adjusted the rear brakes and greased the shims. But, the issue is still present. I hear it louder after a car wash or heavy rain, then as the brakes dry out it is not as loud, but it is always there.

Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 9:14 PM
  • racefan966

Ok if you are hearing that noise and mostly when it is wet thne I must ask were the rotors turned (resurfaced)? If not then that is what I would do is turn the rotors and that should fix the problem. My apologies for taking so long to get back I just got busy on Monday. Thanks again and let me know how it goes.

Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 AT 9:56 AM