1999 TOYOTA RAV4 BLOWN ALT 100A FUSE

• MrDanJK
  • 1999 Toyota Rav4

1999 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

The other day my wife noticed that the battery light, airbag light and gas light were coming on intermittently while driving. When I drove it, I noticed the same thing. After leaving it parked for a couple hours I took it out again to find the headlights didn't work. The brights did though. After leaving it parked for the evening, it was completely dead the next morning. I bought a new battery and installed it. (Note: there was quite a bit of corrosion on the battery cables, I scraped them and cleaned them the best I could.) When I went to hook up the negative lead, the ALT 100a fuse popped. So I went and bought a new one, the SAME thing happened! Bought yet ANOTHER one, this time, I tried hooking up the battery first then the fuse. POP! I'm really frustrated, could this be an actual alternator issue? HELP PLEASE!

Saturday, June 12th, 2010 AT 9:55 AM

• Docfixit

Bingo internal short to ALT try disconecting ALT if fuse stops blowing there you have it ALT

Saturday, June 12th, 2010 AT 1:54 PM