Lose all battery power when I turn the key

THEQUI9CKNESS187
  • TOYOTA PICKUP
I have a 1984 Toyota pickup, 4x4 5 speed manual, Carbureted engine with 160,000 miles.

The truck has a new battery. Battery will hold a charge. Also has new battery cables, both the positive cable to the starter and the negative to the fender well have been replaced. All fuses are still good.

My problem is that I can put the key in, turn it to accessory or on, turn on headlights, stereo, vents, wipers, blinkers, and dome lights and they all work fine, but as soon as I turn the key to start, I hear the relay click and lose all power from the battery. At this point, nothing works anymore, until I disconnect the battery. When I reconnect the battery, everything works fine, except I still can't start it. I had to walk home last night, so I need to fix this pronto. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 12:28 PM

Check your ignition switch
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 3:27 PM