STEAM OUT OF RADIATOR OVERFLOW TUBE

1991 Toyota Pickup

dedee22

August, 27, 2008 AT 5:09 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1991 Toyota Pickup 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 220, 00 miles

I am experiencing a strange cooling issue that started last week. When I shut my truck off I immediately start hearing a loud bubbling noise from under the hood. I have discovered that it's steam coming out of the radiator overflow tube and bubbling in the reservoir tank. I thought it might be a bad rad cap - so I replaced it - no change. The temp gauge does not register hot (ohm'd gauge just to be sure and it's checked out OK). When I check the level in the morning coolant is slightly low - maybe a 10oz low. I have a relief valve on the rad cap, and when lifted a rush of steam comes out the overflow tube into the reservoir. It's really strange. It may be happening while driving however I can not hear it over the engine noise. My truck is my pride and joy and well taken care of. All maintenance is up to date. I did the timing belt/water pump at 208K, and used OE parts. Any ideas - I'm stumped. Thank you in advance : )

September, 13, 2008 AT 10:33 AM

Hi dedee22,

You have
1. Bad or out of specs radiator cap
2. Insufficient coolant in system
3. Head gasket failing.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230