Ignition Problem

SCAMP72
  • TOYOTA COROLLA
Ok I got a 77 Toyota corolla with a 1.2L / 3kc engine
That was recently running but now wont start. The starter will turn over fine and there is gas in the carb. It is a points ignition system and has an igniter. The coil is good and there is power coming from the ignition switch to it. There also is power going to the lead to the distributor but there is no spark at the engine when I turn it over. But when I by pass the lend going from the distributor to the igniter, and put the lead starght from the distributor to the negative on the coil, it runs but really ruff and has no power and wont rev past like 2000 rpm

Can you help me figure out what’s going on? Thanks
Saturday, August 4th, 2007 AT 3:29 PM

Inspect the contact points-if not change it. Put the leg of the point on the highest spot on the cam-gap it, no feeler use a match book. Or if you have a dwell meter use it.

Remember the point gap will change ignition timing-it has to be right. Igniton timing will not change the dwell which is the no. Of degrees the point closes.

Comeback we need to talk about that Ignitor in there.

BTW you sure you have a toyota-for me its sounds more like toyopet.

Good LUck
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 AT 4:48 PM