97 116,000 MILES

1997 Toyota Corolla

daizytwist

December, 30, 2006 AT 10:50 PM

Recently I've been having problems related to shifting/acceleration. I drive a 5 speed and after I get it into 5th gear it is very loud and sounds like it desperately needs to be shifted again. Don't have an rpm gage, but sounds like that is increasing. After driving for about 10 mns at 60mph and over there is a bad odor almost like burning rubber. Having no problems with actual clutch or shifting, or while driving at low speeds. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jack42

December, 31, 2006 AT 8:07 AM

Take it to a shop and have it checked before any damage is done to anything. If you smell burning something, its an indicator that something is getting very hot. Excessive heat causes damage. Might just be the clutch slipping at higher speed.

mathiaso

When the noise is only evident when the transmission is in a particular gear( for your case in 5 th gear), suspect only those components that have been engaged by selecting that gear.
In this case I would check the fith gear or synchronizer

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service