90 ENGINE LIGHT CODE 51

1990 Toyota Corolla

thisismyusername

August, 23, 2007 AT 11:28 PM

Auto Repair Information and Car Safty

Auto Repair | Auto Parts

Auto Repair

Car Repair Menu

First off, I know nothing about cars which is why my question may seem kind of basic.

My car failed its test-only smog last week (slightly over the NO max), and that evening (once I could see it illuminated) I noticed the check engine light flashing. After reading this page:

I looked at the light while the car was in drive and noticed it was flashing 5 - 1, I'm guessing it may be code 51:

"SWITCH SIGNALS

IDL (tps) CONTACTS OFF, NEUTRAL START SWITCH OFF, A/C SWITCH "ON" SIGNAL TO ECU

WITH DIAGNOSTIC CHECK CONNECTOR SHORTED

--A/C SWITCH/CIRCUIT

--A/C AMPLIFIER

--TPS/CIRCUIT

--NEUTRAL START SWITCH/CIRCUIT

--ECU"

I have no idea what the above means, but was wondering if the smog tech accidentally somehow didn't set everything right after the smog test?

Unfortunately, I had a lot of trouble understanding him, though I may have to try and ask him about this anyway to see if he will double check his work.

Any suggestions on what might be going on, if my guess about the light accidentally being on is correct?

I have to wait for CAP funding approval before taking it into the shop for repairs to pass smog, which will take a few weeks at least, I've heard. I just want to know if I should be driving it or not in the meantime. : )

I should add.I read the other posts here about the CEL and my car's behavior hasn't changed any that i've noticed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!