1998 Toyota Corolla It won't start

• 1 POST

1998 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 182, 00 miles

On my way to work a weeka ago my car stopped running and it wouln't start. My father -in-law and his friend put on new spark plugs and spark plug wires and a new fuel filter and fuel pump in it and it still won't start. We checked the alternator and it's fine. I have just got my oil changed at my work place and that shouldn't be the problem either. Today we took to a guy who a electronic device to see what's wrong with it. Can you please tell what's wrong with I am getting desperate and I need my car for work. It will be a week Wednesday since I have a car. Thank you.

Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 4:56 PM

Pick your symptoms below check it and get back with some testing results.

**Cranks but no start condition:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing

**No crank at all/nothing/nada when key is engage to starting position.

Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good. Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.

Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 6:51 PM