1997 Toyota Corolla wheel rotation noise

DOUGBENNETT
  • 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA
My Corolla makes a squeaking noise with the wheel rotation only when coasting (foot off the pedal). The sound is on the passenger side. Usually at slow speeds, occasionally at highway speeds. Once the sound starts it will continue until the wheel stops turning. It is not affected by turning or by applying the brake. I can put the transmission in neutral and turn off the engine and the squeak will continue. It does not sound when I start up cold. It has to warm up for a mile or two before it starts making the sound. It does not make the sound consistently. Sometimes it will coast to a stop without making a sound.

We thought we had transmission or CV joint problems (it turned out to be different sized tires stressing the differential). As part of that process my mechanic removed and inspected the passenger side axle. It was OK. I spent a couple hours with the mechanic chasing down this problem, and more on my own. We thought we found it when he noticed that the shim on the outside brake pad had slipped down and was rubbing on the rotor hub. Putting this back made no difference. I did note that the scratch on the hub was only on one side of the hub: the rotation is not entirely on enter. The sound is not continuous, but something rubbing on part of the rotation. The sound reminds me of rubber: it has a high pitched component like hard rubber being abraded

thank you
Sunday, October 19th, 2008 AT 1:49 PM

JNOVACK
Check the Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly
Sunday, October 19th, 2008 AT 8:45 PM