1997 Toyota Corolla timing belt question

PMP
  • 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA
Hello, im getting a timing belt put on this weekend. I bought the goodyear/duralast (autozone brand) timing belt. I wanted to know if all the brands are the same thing or are they all different in quality. The belt I got is mae in italy, and has heat abrasion etc. Ty
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 9:50 PM

LEGITIMATE007
I think this subject is more opinionated than factual, they are all made pretty much in the same way, exept for maybe the cheapest of the brands such as valucraft I believe as long as you dont buy the cheapest parts you'll usually have a descent product, then again Ive used valuecraft before and had very good luck with it. So an item such as that Ive never had a problem with it. But when it comes to something like brake pads and rotors, the more expensive seem to be the better choice as those rotors are made in like japan for like 3 cents a rotor(understand what im saying?). So they dont care if they are cut properly or not, why should they; they dont get paid anything to make them. SO Duralast is a descent belt in my opinion. You'll be just fine.
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 10:08 PM
ZACKMAN
As you are replacing the timing belt, if it has not been replaced, may I suggest that you replace the water pump as well.
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 11:25 PM
PMP
The water pump doesnt have to come off its a 4 cyl so I wont replace it unless theres a problem with it I think ill need new brakes soon they have been squeeling lately when I come to a light.
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 11:40 PM
MMPRINCE4000
I agree with Zackman on the waterpump. While you have the belt off, drain and flush the coolant and replace the WP, if you can afford it. While the WP may be OK it is good preventative maint.
Also inspect the front main seal for leaks, since if it is leaking you have to remove the belt to change it.
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 6:01 AM
LEGITIMATE007
The waterpump is suggested sometimes, because there is so much involved in getting to the belt that you might as well get a new waterpump so that you dont have to go through that ordeal anytime soon. Your choice, if you can deal with the possibility that the pump may go soon then dont worry about it, some people would say, "if it aint broke dont fix it"

thanx for comming,
and please come back again
jody
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 6:43 AM