1997 Toyota Corolla My car dies when I give it gas

ZAINMSUD
  • 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA
1997 Toyota Corolla Automatic 130000 miles

Hi,

I have a 1997 corolla 1.8L (7AFE). I am having a problem with my car. My mechanic cannot figure out what is wrong with it. The car starts up ok and runs without any problems on idle but as soon as you give it throttle it dies. We have checked the fuel injection, fuel pressure, map sensor, crank sensor, cam sensor, pvc valve, throttle position sensor, ecu, checked for vacuum leaks, checked if the wires are properly grounded BUT NOTHING HAS WORKED !

A brief history.

Initially, I just had a problem with the Harmonic balancer and nothing even remotely related to the current problem. The Harmonic Balancer was vibrating and making noise. So I went to my mechanic and got it replaced. But while taking off the harmonic balancer, some part of it got broken off and could not be removed. Thus he had to work his way from the top and so he decided to change the timing belt while he was at it. He was unable to remove the broken off part but assured me that it would not be a problem unless the new harmonic balancer gets damaged, which is highly unlikely. So he put the car back together and when he stared and pressed the throttle it died. Its been a month now and it is driving both of us crazy. We have tried alot of stuff but nothing has worked.
Sunday, October 19th, 2008 AT 11:53 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Little more info please, what part was broken off?
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 5:42 AM