1997 Toyota Corolla brake rotors - NO ans. Yesterday - dona

SALTYSARAH
  • 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA
Hello, I asked a question yesterday, and I donated ten dollars, but I didn't get an answer.

I changd my breaks, I didn't change the rotors, is that dangerous? The car makes an awful sound.

Is the sound going to go away?

Is lack of changing rotors making my car unsafe?

Sarah Lamont
Saturday, March 14th, 2009 AT 7:05 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello
Thanks for the donation

Did you replace your brake pads yourself or have a repair shop do this for you? If a repair shop did it then they would have inspected the rotors and let you know if they needed turned or replaced. Rotors only need replaced if you have worn out your brake pads too far and it has started grinding into your rotor surface causing grooves and possible warpage. If the damage is not too severe the rotor can be machined or "turned" and still used. If you did the brake replacement yourself you can inspect the rotors for this type of damage. If they are warped then you will have bad vibrations in your steering wheel during braking. If they have grooves in them then you can run your fingers across the surface (WHILE BRAKES ARE COOL ! ) And feel them easily. If no grooves and no vibrations then your vehicle is perfectly safe to drive. However, if either of these or both of these apply to your rotors then you need to have them repaired or replaced as soon as possible. When you mention terrible noise I suspect you mean screeching noise? Does this occur at all times or under braking only? This is quiet common for new brakes to screech for awhile until they get worn down just a bit.

If you need furthere assistance just let me know.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Saturday, March 14th, 2009 AT 7:25 PM