1996 Toyota Corolla Strange Misfire

TOYOTA GT
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA
My car runs well but frequently in the morning when I switch it on, It idles Ok but when I press the accelerator to revv it idles poorly, vibrates and almost stalls untill I ease off the accelerator. When I alsopush the accelerator harder above 2500RPM it behaves ok. Less than that it wants to stall. After driving for a while 10 min, it is fine No problems while driving.
I have had Air Filter, Oil Filter, Plugs and Spark Plug wires relaced recently but problem persists.

What could be the problem?
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 7:04 AM

JACK42
Has it ever set the check engine light? Have the PCM (computer) scanned for codes, Autozone will do it for free. If the PCM sees a problem it will store a code that will help in diagnosing the problem, get back with the exact codes. What brand of plugs? Only misfires cold on first start up? Any smoke out the tailpipe?
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 7:44 AM
TOYOTA GT
Thanks 2CarPro Jack for giving me some clues to investigate further.

I had a chance to observe it this morning. I switched it on and it stalled. I switched it on again and it started OK and maintained idling. I went under the hood and revved a little. It behaved the same as described in the earlier post. After a few revving for two minutes the the vibrating (and the wanting to stall) during revving was gone.
No visible smoke is observed from the exhaust.
I'm using the original Denso Spark plugs K16R-U11
It once set the check engine code on the Throttle Position sensor but the mechanic 'reset the cars computer' That's what he said. Nothing since then.
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 2:43 AM
JACK42
Might be a fuel injector bleeding down overnight or maybe a valve seal that is letting oil leak into teh cylinder at night. Do any of the plugs have a different color?Or deposits on them?
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 7:19 AM