1996 Toyota Corolla No Fluid When Trying To Bleed Brakes

DREWSOME2
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

Brakes problem
1996 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 174000 miles

Totally confused here - replaced pads and shoes, master cylinder, and brake lines on my 96 Corolla. When I tried to bleed the brakes, could get air but next to no fluid at any of the bleeder valves. I could get a tiny bit of fluid at the LF, but not nearly as much as I should have been getting. Replaced the calipers, figuring the seals were cracked. Now I can get fluid on the RF and RR, but not on the LF, which I was getting fluid on before! And cannot get anything from the LR. Am I missing a step? I thought I was next to finished - bleeding was the last thing to do!

Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 12:52 PM

MERLIN2021

You can bleed it. Bench bleed the master by getting brass plugs and screw them into the two ports, then pump the master until you cant move the piston any more. Attach the lines, Have an aide press and hold the pedal crack the lines and retighten, repeat this till all air is removed at the lines, Don't let the master run dry, bleed rear cylinders by opening the bleeders and wait until the fluid dripps out. Close bleeders. Make sure the rears are properly adjusted, then test the pedal hieght. This is a diagonal braking system, it means lf and rr are paired and rf, lr are paired off the master, not a front to back split. Bench bleed the master, install it, then open all bleeders, with cap off the master, the fluid will gravity bleed to the wheel, close bleeders as they drip fluid, then bleed in the normal fashion. DO NOT allow the master to run dry during blleding! Pump master gently and only 1/2 way! Damage to some masters occur when pused to the floor. USE DOT3 FLUID ONLY!

+1
Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 1:42 PM
MMPRINCE4000

Excellent advice by Merlin.

I would add that you MUST bench bleed the MC BEFORE initial install as Merlin describes.

If you do not, you can ruin the MC piston seal.

I have seen this happen many times, a "dry" MC installed, pedal depressed to floor and seal destroyed.

Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 7:25 AM