MAJOR VIBRATION/RATTLING IN

1994 Toyota Corolla

Fixerupper13

March, 9, 2009 AT 3:44 AM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1994 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi all,

My sis bought this car years ago, and has taken it to I think 5 different mechanic shops, all for same issue. 3 times to the dealer and twice to locals.

No one can seem to find/fix the issue, which is the car basically can give you a massage while you sit in it, it vibrates so bad. They replaced motor mounts, (don't know if they did them all) transmission mounts, cv joints, boots, and brakes. I think it started after she took it in for a loud popping noise when she would turn. And they changed the cv joints out?

At first, when she would take it in, it was a sporadic issue and all but one mechanic said he never noticed anything with it. She spent several thousand dollars trying to get it fixed but the issue would always still happen.

Now after years, and not bothering to spend more money on an issue no one could seem to have happen to them, the car pretty much vibrates ALL the time now, it is not just a " mild" vibration either, it is VERY loud and you can feel it in steering wheel and seats. I have always thought motor mounts, but dealer charged her to replace them previously and it still did it back in the sporadic days.

I could change out the old mounts on my 75 Camaro, but this is a whole other mound of worms.
Anyone have a way to check these or other idea what issue is? The whole front clip vibrates to heck now as well as rest of car.

mmprince4000

March, 9, 2009 AT 6:59 AM

Raise car, put on stands. Grasp tire and push pull both horizontally and vertically. If there is movement, then ball joints, bearings, control arm, control arm bushings, tie rod ends.
Check for loose bolts on the cradle and any cracks in the metal.

The alignment may be a problem as well as tires. If your toe is out, it will cause a severe vibration and ruin the tires.

Check fluid level in differential.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer