1993 Toyota Corolla RPM Gauge on 100 level

ARISLEONARDVENUS
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
Good day! My Corolla GLi 1993 model EFi 4afe engine has a very low RPM gauge level 100 almost down to zero. When I turn on the a/c the rpm level is steady to 100 and the engine never stops even in full stop. I hope you can help me with this problem, Normally the rpm should be in 800 in normal idling condition but my corolla is down to 100. When I revolution the rpm hardly goes up. Thak you so much for your help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/271000_25022008257_1.jpg

Friday, November 14th, 2008 AT 3:06 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Remove and clean the idle air control valve, and clean the throttle body.

It would be unusual for a car to idle steadily at 100rpm.
Saturday, November 15th, 2008 AT 7:58 AM
ARISLEONARDVENUS
Good day to you,

Thanks for answering to my queries, I just finished removing and cleaning the throttle body and the IAC valve attached to the TB. I removed all the dirts, carbon and oil with a 3M carb cleaner and it did a good job. My RPM had gone up to 600 but I feel like I have a high idling even if the rpm level only says 600. The engine is not idling normally. Please advise on what to do next.

Thanks again.
Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 12:17 AM
MMPRINCE4000
Normal idle speed would be 650-750rpm.

The IAC controls idle speed by moving a pintle in and out of the TB allowing more or less air into engine.

If you are using the instrument panel tach. To gauge RPM, your tach may be off.

Best thing is to find a scan tool and read what the ECM is seeing as the RPM.
Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 9:20 AM
ARISLEONARDVENUS
Thank you for your prompt response. I tried to test drive for an hour and observe the RPM, I observed that when the engine is thoroughly heated up, the idle speed is 800. Now I think I have to bring my car to a service center coz I dont have a scan tool and check the timing as well.

Is there a fuel injection cleaner? What would you recommend? Please advise also on how to apply it.

You've been so helpful, I cant thank you enough for evertyhing but Thank you so much.
Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 9:11 PM
MMPRINCE4000
Most FI cleaners will do the job, added to gas tank according to instructions.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 8:20 AM
ARISLEONARDVENUS
Hi Bob, Ken and all of the 2 Carpros team!

Thank you so much guys! I was able to save time, money and at the same time. Learn more about my car! More power to y'all.

Best Regards.

Aris Leonard Venus
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 7:47 PM
AUNT1
Replace the 2 pcs Capacitor on the tachometer circuit with value of 10uf/25V. That will solve your problem, done it also with my 1994 Toyota Corolla GLi 4AFE Engine manual Tranny.
+3
Monday, June 2nd, 2014 AT 10:04 PM