1993 Toyota Corolla my Corolla engine may be dying, please

SAJINTHARA@EARTHLINK.NET
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
I have a 1993 corolla with 223,000 miles on it. All original engine and transmission. I was wondering when my engine or tranny would die? I noticed that whenever I start it up from a cold start a white puff of smoke comes out of teh muffler. I think I may be burning oil or leaking oil from teh inside of teh engine. My engine also feels sluggish, I did a tune up and timing belt change at 200,000 miles. Is this condition dangerous or could it worsten? I.E. Engine blow up or breathing in bad fumes while driving, I am concerned since my wife is pregnant. I do not want to spend soo much on engine work butn let the corolla "die" Someone else told me to check my oil level and coolant level every now and then because white smoke means that moisture is leaking into the engine from the radiator causing irreversible harm to the pistons and head, valves, gaskets etc. I also had radiator and hoses replaced about a year ago at Sears so it may have not been a qualityy job either.

JOhn Kutty
Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 11:56 AM

MMPRINCE4000
If you are sure it is white smoke and not blue, then most likely it is a head gasket problem. A compression test would confirm this.

Blue smoke on startup is valve stem seals, which is totally normal on a car this old.

Perform a compresion test to rule out/in head gasket.

If head gasket, then it should be replaced, just did one 2 weeks ago for a friend, about an 8 hour job (I'm old and slow :) ).
Replace head bolts as well, and thermostat.

Valve stem seals require a special tool set.

I would not be concerned about fumes, unless you have an exhaust leak. So check exhaust system.

I probably would not let my wife drive it because of the possible headgasket failure, which would leave her stranded.
Friday, May 15th, 2009 AT 7:55 AM
SAJINTHARA@EARTHLINK.NET
How did my head gasket get bad and how much you think it will cost me? Was I leaking oil or someone told me that moisture from the radiator was leaking into the engine. I am waiting for my engine to die adn drive it to the ground.
Friday, May 15th, 2009 AT 10:03 AM
MMPRINCE4000
You need to perform a compression test to confirm headgasket.

They generally fail because of overheating the engine, and warp. But head bolts can also break causing a failure.

Headgasket repair (if head is not warped) is around $800-1000.

Don't send it to the junkyard yet.
Saturday, May 16th, 2009 AT 9:06 AM