1993 Toyota Corolla Issue with transmission

DALECOOPER
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135k miles

For a couple weeks, my transmission was hiccuping when I would stop at a stop sign and start driving again, as well as going up hills. A few days ago, I was driving up a small, steep hill and the transmission seemed to be laboring harder than it had been. When I arrived at my destination, I turned into a driveway on a downward slope to turn around and when I put the car in reverse, I couldn't move. Rather than revving the engine, I got out and pushed the car out with assistance. Once I hit the open road and got the car in gear, it ran fine. I got a call from the person whose driveway I was stuck in and they said it looked like I was leaking transmission fluid. I haven't driven the car since, but I did purchase transmission fluid to add if it needs it. I have never checked/added fluid myself. 2 questions: Can you give me basic guidelines for checking/adding fluid? Based on what info I gave, what is your best guess as to what the problem is and how expensive (best guess) of a problem is it?
Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 11:39 AM

Hi dalecooper, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

1st thing to do is you need to identify where its leaking from, its not gonna do you good to put the fluid on. Or if you wish check the transmission while engine is running pull the dipstick and check the level and condition-if the fluid condition looks good and its low add fluid little at a time till it gets up to the full mark
Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 3:45 PM