1992 Toyota Corolla Hard Start & Sluggish Performance

KANTANKAROUS
  • 1992 TOYOTA COROLLA
I am a proud owner of a 92 Toyota Corolla, manual transmission, 4 cyllinder 4a-fe engine. Recently I have been experiencing hard start problems, especially in the morning. I normally have to crank it up about 6 times before it starts, and when it finally does it idles badly. I usually have to let the engine run for about 5 minutes before it idles smoothly (with an occasional pop from the muffler, I think its missfiring). The car still has great power and acceleration, until I have driven for about an hour straight, then it starts to lose power, and stutters when I press the gas. I have renently had a bad head gasket which caused oil to leagk into the coolant and visa-versa, this has been repaired, I also installed new water pump and radiator. The car is not overheating. If I let the car rest for a little while it runs fine agin for a little while longer. Can you please tell me what could be wrong with my car.
Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 AT 12:37 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi kantankarous,

There are many possibilities for difficult starting and since it comes with misfiring, I would suggest checking
1. Spark plugs, cables, distributor cap, rotor and ignition coil.
2. Check the fuel filter for clogging.
3. Valve clearance, (difficult starting and poor idling when cold)
4. Ignition timing.
5. Timinig belt/camsgaft synchronisation
Saturday, September 20th, 2008 AT 11:50 PM