1991 Toyota Corolla Fluid leaking out where halfshaft goes

SARABROWNS
  • 1991 TOYOTA COROLLA
So I already feel like a bone head since the first time around I didn't put my shafts in all the way apparently (although the ASE certified neighbor didn't notice either...) and I am paranoid my shafts will pop back out again...but here is the new problem...

At some point in removing the old shafts, the seal that fits on the inside of the transaxle/differential got really ripped. The one I got from the parts place looked similar and fit in the groove, but apparently it didn't stay because fluid is leaking out! I'm not sure if it is just that seal not being quite right, or if my shaft somehow isn't in all the way...the only reason I fear it's not in all the way is because it seemed almost too short when I went to put it back in the hub, and when the axle nut was tightened and the ball joints reattached to the control arm, it kind of pulled out the rubber boot...instead of all the kinks (whatever you call them) being kinked, one got pulled flat. But it seemed to drive fine and feels tighter than the last time I did it!

So is this fluid leak just a bad seal or is it because my shaft isn't in all the way, having been somehow pulled tight by being reattached to the rest of the front end?

Here's a pic of the seal and the little metal wire thingie that was along the inside.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/48135_DSCN0909_1.jpg

Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 7:48 PM

BILLYMAC
Hi Sara, It really sounds like you have the wrong axle. The ribs have to ribbed flat will rip the boot and the axle will go out again. I would go back to the parts place and have your old axle matched again. Because the boot should look just like it looks installed as uninstalled. If the wrong one it may not pop out but the seal won, t seal it. It is worth checking again. But my opinion is you have the wrong axle. Good luck if I can help just ask. Billymac
Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 9:12 PM
MMPRINCE4000
You should change the axle seals when you remove the halfshaft.

The fact that it is in pieces indicates it is old and worn out.

The spring is called a "garter spring" it wraps around the seal to maintain contact with axle and prevent leaks.

When installing, use a socket about same diameter as seal and GENTLY drive it into trans. Apply grease to axle shaft end to prevent ripping the seal.

I suggest using Toyota seals, they fit the best vs aftermarket.
Saturday, June 13th, 2009 AT 8:02 AM
SARABROWNS
Since I'm going to have to take the half-shaft back out to get to the seal (I'm getting reeeally sick of this:) ), I plan on bringing it with me up to the parts place to compare to another shaft. The last one I had broke, so it's of no use, even if the store still had it. Let's hope this is the last time I have to touch this thing, ever!
Saturday, June 13th, 2009 AT 8:43 AM
MMPRINCE4000
Good Idea!

Sometimes in the aftermarket, customers will send the wrong "core" back. In other words, they will use an axle from another car as the core for the Toyoto axle. Consequently, you will get the wrong axle.

So, taking the original axle in is a good idea, match it up exactly. The other option is to buy a new axle, they usually run only $10 more.
Sunday, June 14th, 2009 AT 7:44 AM
SARABROWNS
Thanks again for the advice! I got the new seal from the dealer, it's in, everything is back together and good to go! Of course, I am still a little paranoid.I have never had any work I've done ever fall apart or anything, so it was a pretty unpleasant experience! I also got new front tires (mine were way bald) and that seems to have made a huge difference in and of itself as to how the front end feels (I notice every little peep or movement in my paranoid state).
Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 1:24 PM
MMPRINCE4000
You did a good job Sara. Give yourself a pat on the back. Mmprince4000.
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 7:39 AM
SARABROWNS
Well thank you Mmprince4000 :)

Again, thanks for the advice:)

So, did you see my post on inner tie rods? If it's not one thing.I kind of don't care about replacing them, but I did just put new tires on the front (the first pair of truly new tires I think I've ever bought! I always get "gently used" ones for cheap.) And don't want them to get all chewed up:)
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 10:07 AM
MMPRINCE4000
I saw the inner tie rod post, but is has been many years since I did them and I honestly can't remember, I'm old you know :).

Remove protective boot and inspect the inner rod connection to rack.
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 AT 6:57 AM
SARABROWNS
Old! You're only as old as you feel, assuming you don't feel too old! I used to work as a cashier in a gas station/garage way back (10 or so years), and the mechanics there that taught me whatever I nosed in the garage to learn were old but still lively. I think one of them was even in WWII. Just kidding, I think it was Vietnam. But 2 of them were grandpas, the other 2 were a bit younger.I totally miss that place, they were the only mechanics I trusted. Now it's a Walgreens, ugg.

I saw a video of some guy replacing them on youtube but he had the rack off the car. Anything's easy when you got a mile of space around you to work! Ha!

Well thanks again, I'm sure there are many people on here who have appreciated you sharing your knowledge. :)
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 AT 10:13 AM
MMPRINCE4000
Good Luck!
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 8:17 AM