INTERMITENT WON'T START

1990 Toyota Corolla

THE12MAN

January, 17, 2006 AT 5:32 AM

MY BUDDY JUST BOUGHT THIS 1990 COROLLA AND THE CAR HAS A PROBLEM WITH STARTING SOME TIMES. HE HAD TO TURN THE KEY OFF AND ON A FEW TIMES TO GET THE STARTER TO TURN OVER THE ENGINE. THE BATTERY IS GOOD AND CHARGING SYSTEM RECHARGES AT 14.1 VOLTS. HE HAS SINCE GOTTEN THE CAR TO START AND I WAN'T TO FIX THE PROBLEM BEFORE IT LEAVES HIM STRANDED AGAIN. PLEASE ADVISE ME ON TROUBLESHOOTING THE IGNITION SYSTEM. HOW DO I TEST THE ICM, AND OR IGNITION SWITCH ASSY? OR IF I SHOULD JUST HAVE HIM TAKE IT TO A SHOP. I HAVE LIMITED EXPERIENCE WITH TOYOTA CARS. I HAVE MECHANIC TRAINING FROM THE U.S. NAVY, CATTERPILLAR, AND I'M BLUE OVAL CERTAFIED. CAN I DIAGNOSE WHITHOUT A SCAN-TOOL? THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP AND POSTS.

Jack42

February, 10, 2006 AT 2:28 PM

Sounds like the starter motor. Be sure it has 12 volts at the trigger wire on the starter( small wire) when ign is in crank position

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test