1989 Toyota Corolla Car Will Start But Not Turn Over

1989 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

I was having a problem with my corollas yesterday. I was driving it and it would start to "hiccup" when I would press the gas pedal. It was like the more I hit the gas the more likely it would stall. It's happend before and would be fine once it got going.
Well I tried to start it today and it would start but turn over and run rough. When I would try to rev the gas to get it going it would stall again.
Now when I start it I can feel the motor trying to get going but it wouldn't turn over. Once I let go of the key it would stall.
I do have to tell ya a few things about the car. I know it has a bent valve but that hasn't been a problem that I couldn't handle.
I know I need to get the exhaust replaced. Perhaps the catalic converter is to stuffed up?
I was thinking it could be something with th fuel line/fuel pump, because of the stalling only when I would hit the gas.
Then I was thinking I haven't had a tune up in about 10 months. Could be spark plugs.
What would be your opinon?

Saturday, September 13th, 2008 AT 4:20 AM

Get the fuel pressure measured with a mechanical gauge.
The bent valve will continue to cause damage and may indeed be a big part of the problem.

Exhaust leaks should be repaired ASAP, they can leak hot gas on wiring harnesses and cause a lot of damage.

You can unbolt the convertor (if factory) and inspect it, if it is melted or cracked, that could be the problem. You can also have the CAT backpressure measured.

Saturday, September 13th, 2008 AT 5:27 AM