1988 Corolla leaky power steering

HONOLULU
  • 1988 TOYOTA COROLLA
AE92 body, 1.6L transverse carburetted 4 cyl.

I just replaced the power steering rack with a reman rack. PS fluid still leaks out in about a day from right side(?) Of car. Hose connections to rack, PS pump and reservoir on pump appear tight and do not leak visibly when the car is jacked up, engine on or off, and wheels are turned from lock to lock. Some leakage from reservoir cap but I think because I overfilled it. Still, all fluid will leak from system in a day or so and the pump starts groaning. I have tightened the PS belt.

Q1: what is the function of the two vacuum lines on the PS pump, and what would result if one or both are inoperative?
Q2: Inner tie rod boot at one end of the new rack seems to be filling with fluid. Is this an indication the seal is bad on that side and that I should return the rack? Book says 5.2 labor hours, took me twice that but there's a second time for many things.
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 1:43 AM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there, the rack boot should not be filling up with oil, I would contact the supplier and let them know, they may want it inspected before its removed.

Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 1:57 AM

Sponsored links