1986 Toyota Corolla

JAYDIII
  • 1986 TOYOTA COROLLA
Its a 1986 toyota corolla Sr5 hatchback 4cyl carburated. When its cold its hard to start and I notice that on the ground where my exhuast is its black on the ground and all around my exhaust is black too. Theirs also a really bad smell when im driving, when im just driving normally not flooring it its smells fine but when I speed up or slam on the gas it smells, catalytic converter? Also my car is leaking coolant I just havent been able to pinpoint it, I know it cant be the head gasket because the previous owner replaced that, and it leaks a lot, like a little puddle. Just today I started my car to park in the garage so the car was on for mayb 5 mins I look under the car and its leaking coolant. Could it be the intake/exhaust gasket?
any help would be appreiciated, thanks.
Monday, October 13th, 2008 AT 12:57 PM

MMPRINCE4000
You more than likely will have to rebuild or replace the carb. The rich exhaust has probably overheated the convertor and it will ne to be replaced.

The coolant can be coming from a hose, radiator, thermostat housing. On some Toyotas there is a hose from the waterpump to the thermostat housing that is under the ntake manifold and is hard to see. Try an inspection mirror.
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 6:15 AM
JAYDIII
Thanks a bunch for the quick response im goin to clean off my exhaust and get a new cat and see if it still smells or leaves black stuff on my muffler
and for the carb im goin to buy a weber carb, pricey but good performance, as for the coolant leak I might just take it to a auto shop and ask them to pinpoint the source of the leak.
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 7:22 PM
JAYDIII
O one more question
test pipe or high flow catalyic converter?
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 8:06 PM
MMPRINCE4000
Replace the convertor. Of course it is illegal to tamper with emmission devices and while you may not (now) have to pass a smog test or inspection to get your car tagged, that time is coming for everyone.
Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 AT 6:06 AM
JAYDIII
Hey again one of my friends recommended I get my carb cleaned out by a mechanic or do it myself and I wouldnt have to replace it.
Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 AT 11:06 AM
MMPRINCE4000
If, as you say, it has been runnung rich, that can cause the convertor to overheat.
The way to find out is to fix the carb, then have a backpressure test performed on the CAT. That will tell you if you have any restrictions.
Thursday, October 16th, 2008 AT 7:35 AM
JAYDIII
Hey again, so I replaced the cat with a new one, the odor is faint now. Also I wiped off all the black gunk on my muffler and drove it around for a bit with the new cat, theirs still black stuff on my muffler so im guessin its the carb. So im going to replace this thurs when I get payed. And also my friend checked my car and he said for the coolant leak he told me just to replace my thermostat. My question how do I replace my thermostat?
Saturday, October 18th, 2008 AT 8:40 PM