Unable to determine timing marks on 1995 Camry 4cyl

OVERBOOST_CONDITION
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
Went to replace timing belt on camry and noticed that there seem to be odd tiiming marks on both the crank and cam. On the Cam gear, there are three marks, two on the teeth which are six teeth apart and then there is a hole in one of the "spokes" on the cam gear. By the camshaft seal there are also two marks; one is a divet and another looks like a drilled hole.

Now on the crank, there is a dot on the pulley and a little mark on the block. I have lined up the gears to what I believe are their respective marks but the engine still will not start. It feels as if there is no compression. I don't believe there are any bent valves, I just believe the crank/cam are not timed correctly. Please help with the timing marks
Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006 AT 3:56 PM

LOSONE
If you timing belt is still on and the engine is running OK align the engine to #1 TDC and verify the marks.
Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006 AT 8:39 AM
OVERBOOST_CONDITION
The belt broke, and aligning to TDC will only give me the right mark on the crank, which still leaves finding the correct marks for the cam
Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006 AT 1:10 PM
LOSONE
It is difficult telling you without looking at them because there are different marks. I suggest you buy a Haynes book for your vehicle. It will give the set up. Good luck
Thursday, May 4th, 2006 AT 8:11 AM