Toyota Camry 1992 start up problem

API
  • 1992 TOYOTA CAMRY
I have a toyota camry 1992, 165000 miles, V4 cyl car. My car is not starting up. Key is rotating to the end but it makes estrange very low volume noises. I dont know how to explain better. One thing I want to mention that my front ligts were on in the night and I dont know if its related to theproblem. Kindly suggest what steps should I take. Would it be exensive to repair.
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 8:38 AM

FISHERMAN
[quote="api"]I have a toyota camry 1992, 165000 miles, V4 cyl car. My car is not starting up. Key is rotating to the end but it makes estrange very low volume noises. I dont know how to explain better. One thing I want to mention that my front ligts were on in the night and I dont know if its related to theproblem. Kindly suggest what steps should I take. Would it be exensive to repair.[/Quo

Remove your battery and have it recharge.
I think that should solve the problem!

If that its not possible have somebody to "jump-start" your car.

Jump Starting A Dead Car Battery: Precautions

* Line both cars up so the batteries are as close as can be. Make sure the cars are in park, and both cars are turned off, and not touching each other before you connect the cables. Actually one of them is already off, or you wouldn't be in this predicament right? Make sure all headlights, blinkers, car radios and A/C's are off, everything off. Unplug all accessories from cigarette lighters and other power sockets from both cars. Jump starting a battery can crank 300+ volts through your system and the transients can destroy equipment. These voltage spikes are caused by inrush current, into the inductances in your electrical system.

* Familiarize yourself with the Positive (+) and Negative (-) terminals of both car batteries so you know exactly which one is which. All batteries are clearly marked so if you can't find it, it's probably under 1/8" of caked on corrosion around the terminals. Wipe off any battery acid that may have leaked.

* If the battery is cracked and liquid is leaking out, DO NOT go further! And go buy another battery and swap it out. If you try to jump start a battery with a crack in it, it will explode, and battery acid will dissolve your eyes (on the positive side though, it does get the red out). It makes no sense to jump a cracked battery, it will die in a few minutes.

* Try to clean off any corrosion around the dead battery terminals, and if you have tools, loosen the wires from the terminals, clean them off, then retighten the wires to the shiny posts. Corroded posts prevent the power from getting through the cables and into your battery to revive it. If you have a file handy, try to file the metal battery posts until they are nice and shiny. In a pinch use pliers to clamp down and scrape off corrosion too as the metal is somewhat soft.

* Usually the positive battery cable is red or orange, and usually the Negative (-) or ground cable is black, but always check for yourself to be sure.

Let Us Know!
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 9:28 AM