Reverse won't work

PJEGG
  • TOYOTA CAMRY
Hi I have a 1990 toyota camry le with a 2.5 engine with 177,000 miles on it. The car at first would go in reverse on an d on, now it will not go into reverse at all but drives forward with no problems. In order to back the car up I have to put the car in neutral and push in back in order to drive the car. If a person has some car knowledge what are the steps that needs to be done to replace the reverse gear in the car? Also I have replaced the started and got a new battery but the car sometimes will not start on the first try it sometimes takes a couples of turns of the key for the car to start. Is there something else that can be checked to see why it doesnt with a new battery and replaced starter doesnt start? Thanks so much. :)
Wednesday, January 31st, 2007 AT 9:01 AM

MMPRINCE3000
It sounds like this is an automatic? If so then check the gear selector linkage at the transmission and the selector cable itself, could be binding.
+1
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 8:03 AM
PJEGG
Hi mmprince. I am not a car person so my first question is the gear selector linkage you mentioned at the transmision and the selector cable, are all of those parts lcoated inside of the trransmission itself where the top has to come off of the engine? The gear selector linkage that has to do with the reverse not working right? The selector cable has to do with the car not always starting? I forgot to mention in my other post that when I put the new battery in it was taller than the original battery so that is a little cable extension that allows the positive cable to reach the positive post, could that have anything to do with the car not starting every time? I love toyota's but this car is making me want to scream.
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 3:08 PM
MMPRINCE3000
The selector is on the outside of the transmission, the cable bolts to it and is adjustable.
The selector cable is connected to the shifter in the cabin and then to the selector on the transmission.
In addition to selecting a gear, the selector is connected to an electrical switch which controls the back up lights.
Take the battery back and get the correct battery. Power and ground are very important to engine operation.
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 4:03 PM
PJEGG
Hi again mmprince,
Is it also possible that my transmission is about to completely break down? I heard that first the reverse stops working and then the entire transmission goes after awhile. Are rebuilt transmissions for a 1990 toyota camry very expensive?
+1
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 4:13 PM
MMPRINCE3000
I have seen the A131L (3 speed) rebuilds cost upwards of $1100.00.
If the tranny is going out, try finding a used one from a junk yard.
I picked up a good A131L from an import junk yard for $400.
I would take the car to a transmission shop for a diagnosis before I gave up on the existing one.
Saturday, February 3rd, 2007 AT 6:36 AM