Engine dies while driving

OSUKID14
  • TOYOTA CAMRY
A Toyota camry-1992 about 160,000 miles, automatic 4 cylinder. Ok while I was driving one morning to school I was on my brakes cause the light just turned green and I was slowing down then when I went to step on the gas it just completely died. I got it off the road and tried to start it and it wouldnt. We got it towed and they said it needed a major tune up ( which cost $300). I was a little worried that that wasnt the reason why it died but thats what they said. Then later about less than a week later I was backing out of a parking spot and died again but this time it started right back up. I was able to drive it back home with no problem. Then the next day I was once again backing out of a spot and it died again but started right back up. I was in a small parking garage and by the time I left it the car stalled 3 times. I drove it straight to the shop and at every light when I was at a stop it would hesitate and I was just praying it wouldnt stall.
i was wondering if you had any suggestions. Also when I was driving for a long time sometime I would smell gas so I kinda think it would be a fuel pump. Could that cause a car to stall so many times. Thanks for your time
Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 AT 7:57 PM

Have the fuel pressure check
Wednesday, March 7th, 2007 AT 12:26 AM