Dealer says to replace fuel injectors and O2 sensors

JOHN_C949
  • TOYOTA CAMRY
My wife's car (1992 Toyota Camry v6 sedan - Japan version) has been idling very rough and even runs rough - most noticably below freeway speeds. The dealer replaced 6 spark plugs, cables and rotary cap but it's still not running smooth. They then said that it looks like the fuel injectors and both o2 sensors are "saturated" and the computer is thrashing the engine back and forth between heavy and lean mixtures. They want $2500 for these repairs. We're thinking about dontating the car and getting something new but I'm handy (electrical engineer) and don't mind giving this a shot myself with a Chilton's book at my side. Question is - does their diagnosis sound correct and if so, exactly what parts would I need to purchase? I've seen a 6 injector replacement set online but do I need to get o rings and other injector related things as well?

Thanks in advanced!

John
Thursday, August 31st, 2006 AT 9:13 PM

SYNCRAIT
If your replacing the injectors yes you need new orings im not sure in your situation but the injectors also sit on a donut/washer looking spacer which you can reuse also you will want to replace the gasket. In your chiltons you can find out how tocheck the pcv valve also just check under the hood for broken/cut vacuum lines injectors are expensive but rarely need replacing if that dosent work I would replace the o2 sensor. Come back and let us know good luck :)
Friday, September 1st, 2006 AT 7:27 AM
JOHN_C949
Thanks syncrait for the extra info! I'm getting the Chilton's tonight so I should be able to see what you're talking about and hopefully sound more intellegent in my questions or updates as a result. When you say that I might also want to replace the gasket, are you talking about gaskets that seal the injectors or the head gasket? (Again, sorry for the possibly 'dumb' questions, hope to have a better understanding when I can see a schematic)

Also, since injectors rarely fail, would you recommend replacing the O2 sensors first and seeing how it runs before tackling the injectors?

For what it's worth, my wife has stated that she will not drive her car again even if I manage to fix it by some miracle. Fine I said, I will and you can have my old car! ;) (I think she just wants that new SUV.)

Thanks again,

John
Friday, September 1st, 2006 AT 3:07 PM
SYNCRAIT
Now she has an excuse to get one too HEH. But yes I am talking about replacing the gasket where the injectors are mounted, that is if you decide to do it. And yes I would reccommend replacing both o2 sensors before the injectors as they are apt to fail more and they will produce a very rough idle. But to reassure yourself. Remove all the spark plugs and keep them in order and make sure they all have a uniform color and none are any different color than the rest thus assuring each cylinder is firing correctly and it is most likely 1 o2 sensor than 6 injectors going bad. I would also run the car a few minutes before removing the sensors because since metal expands when hot it will make them easier to remove as your car has 2; one before the cat converter and one after; I would reccomend replacing both at the same time. Good luck keep us posted :)
Friday, September 1st, 2006 AT 8:15 PM
DAVEC
My expertise is more with Hondas so take this with that in mind but injectors rarely go out. It is almost always the injector relay in a Honda. I would replace that before I would go after new injectors. Also I would expect the O2 sensors to trip a check engine light if they are bad.

Good Luck
Wednesday, September 13th, 2006 AT 8:27 PM
Maybe she's given you the hint for the SUV. I don't see any codes being mentioned. It all has to do with rough Idle.

Injectors or its o-ring and HO2 can be a possibilty. However there's a lot more that can cause that symptom. Let's try investigating the EGR/IACV/TPS.

Lets get back to basics of diagnostics of electronic engine controls and basic to basic.

A malfunctioning charge system and a bad ground can do some weird things within the engine management system.
Wednesday, September 13th, 2006 AT 10:29 PM