94 - IS VIBRATION DURING BRAKING CAUSED BY BAD ABS?

1994 Toyota Camry

cds333

January, 20, 2008 AT 3:04 AM

Brakes problem
1994 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160+ miles

Hey There,

I'm having a pulsation/vibration occur when I brake- most noticeable between 20 - 45 mph. I just had the brakes checked, and although the pads are halfway worn, I was told that the rotors are not noticeably warped and have enough material left to be turned once more (the front, that is- the rear pads and rotors are both fine). There is the ABS light on in the dash however.

My question is this:

Is there a facet of the ABS system, that if faulty, can cause such symptoms?

. And if so, can I disconnect my ABS altogether to temporarily eliminate the pulsations (until I can afford to have it fixed).

I also have a slight vibration between 50 - 70 mph while cruising, which was much worse before I had my tires balanced, but is now just noticeable enough to be annoying. I think that is probably from the tires accumulating uneven wear due to R& B neglect (I just bought the car used), however I'm not about to fork out $400 on suspicion alone just to eliminate a little vibration when the tires have plenty of tread left. The reason I mentioned this is just in case there could be some correlation between it and the aforementioned vibrations during braking.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear