85 WON'T START

1985 Toyota Camry

satyrnrain

December, 5, 2006 AT 11:50 PM

I have a 1985 Camry LE 186,000 miles. It died suddenly on the freeway (60+mph). Then afterwards would not start. It will turn over but the engine will not fire. I tested it for spark and there was none. I was told to replace the Ignition Coil, and did so only to no avail. It still does the same thing. NO SPARK. Any suggestions? Please Help.

backyardmechanic

December, 7, 2006 AT 9:29 AM

Your car has a distrubtor type ignition and uses a pick up coil to time the firing of the coil. If the ignition wires and coil wire are good and you still don't have spark I would suspect a problem with the primary circuit, most likely the pick up coil is bad. You can test this coils resistance with a ohm meter but you will need the specs on it which I don't have. However if you get no reading or a zero reading it means the coil is open and needs to be replace.
Hope this helps backyardmechanic : )

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet