2003 Toyota Camry 2003 Toyota Camry revs very high RPM's

RDRZAZ
  • 2003 TOYOTA CAMRY

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry and sometimes when i'm driving or at a complete stop my rpm's start reving high at over 2000. When it does this the thermostat drop all the way to L like I just started the card in the cold. Then all the sudden it like it fixes it self. The thermostat goes back to normal and the rpm's drop back to normal. It doesn't doo it all the time. Do you have any sugestions. I'm not a mechanic and don't have a code reader. I just need to know where to start. I have a warranty, I just want to know if it something I can fix for under the $100.00 deductible that my warranty has. Thanks -Rich
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 10:43 AM

JOE C.
I would pay a donation on this site and have one of their mechanics tell you what's wrong.
It sounds like you have a sensor that is incorrectly reading the engine temperature as ice cold, so it puts in more fuel. When it puts in more fuel its like you are pushing down on the accelerator pedal and the engine revs go way up. Just for fun I'm guessing coolant temperature sensor, but I'm no mechanic, I only work on our own cars. Pay the donation & one of the experts will tell you what it is.
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 9:28 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi rdrzaz,

Thank you for the donation.

Joe is correct about the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor malfunctioning. However I believe it is more likely to be a loose wire connection rather than a faulty sensor. Faulty sensors would be more consistent in symptoms and your symptom are irregular and only occurs briefly. However we cannot rule it out completely.

I would suggest checking the ECT wire connector for looseness, contamination or broken wires, some wires tends to break internally while the external cover still looks good and a little tugging would cause continuity to break.

The ECT sends its signal to the ECM which transfers the signal the temperature gauge in the meter cluster, so you would have to check ECM wire harness as well.
Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 11:22 AM